Event: From Targets to Implementation and Accountability: The Role of Climate Councils
11 Nov 2022, 16:15, Canada Pavilion
Independent climate councils are a critical element of the governance frameworks needed to meet climate objectives and build accountability for climate pledges. This panel will feature climate councils from Canada, Ireland, South Africa, and New Zealand in a facilitated conversation about providing expert advice and assessing climate policy implementation, sharing lessons learned, and discussing how to sustain durable climate progress in dynamic global and domestic contexts. This event will highlight Canada’s recent climate legislation and the establishment of the Net-Zero Advisory Body, while raising the profile of climate councils as an institutional mechanism for climate action around the world. Speakers will provide insights from their national contexts for other countries interested in developing their own councils or working collaboratively with existing councils.
COP27 Panel: From Targets to Implementation and Accountability: The Role of Climate Councils
- Catherine Abreu, Member, Canada’s Net-Zero Advisory Body
- Richard Smith, President, Canadian Climate Institute
- Marie Donnelly, Chairperson, Ireland – Climate Change Advisory Council
- Crispian Olver, Executive Director, South Africa Presidential Climate Commission
- Lisa Tumahai, Deputy Chairperson, He Pou a Rangi Climate Change Commission – New Zealand
Other COP27 events with ICCN member participation:
- November 9, 9:00 – 10:30, South African Pavilion, South Africa Presidential Climate Commission, Financing the Just Transition in South Africa [available on YouTube]
- November 11, 18:45 -19:30, Canadian Pavilion: Canada’s Net-Zero Advisory Body, Achieving Net-Zero by 2050: Implementing the Net-Zero Advisory Body’s Values and Principles.
- November 12, 9:00 – 10:30, South African Pavilion, South Africa Presidential Climate Commission, Adaptation and Resilience in South Africa’s Just Transition [available on YouTube]
- November 14, 17:00 – 20:00, Canadian Climate Institute and Canada’s Net-Zero Advisory Body Reception, Camel Bar & Rooftop at the Camel Dive Club and Hotel, Centre of Na’ama Bay. Please RSVP here.
- November 14, 2022, 18:00 – 20:00, Moana Blue Pacific Pavilion: New Zealand Climate Change Commission, Te Hōnonga a Maui Climate Commission Panel.
- November 15, 14:30 – 16:00, South African Pavilion, South Africa Presidential Climate Commission, Competing narratives in Energy Transitions [available on YouTube]
- November 15, 16:30 – 17:30, France Pavilion, The High Council on Climate: An independent body to assess France’s policy to achieve carbon neutrality and adapt to climate change (event in French only)
- November 15: 19:00 – 20:00. EU Pavilion, The European Scientific Advisory Board on Climate Change: how independent scientific advice can strengthen climate action.
- November 17, 9:00 – 10:00, South African Pavilion, South Africa Presidential Climate Commission, Tracking progress towards Just Transitions [available on YouTube]